High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is widely regarded as the best way to lose weight and shed excess body fat. The increase in metabolic rate means you continue to burn calories even after you have completed your workout. This helps create a calorie deficit leading to fat loss and increased fitness levels.
HIIT workouts are also great if you don’t have much time. Each workout should take you no more than 25 mins, plus warm up and cool down. HIIT workouts are great to do in the gym, in a class or at home.
So shake up your workout routine with these HIIT exercises and design your own total body workout.
How do I design my own HIIT workout?
- Pick 5 exercises from the list below
- Perform at high intensity for 30 secs (so you’re out of breath and you’re heart rate is up)
- Rest for 30 secs
- Repeat each round 5 times
- You’re done in 25 mins (plus warm up and cool down)
- Down a protein shake to celebrate and replenish your muscles
- 20 HIIT exercises
1. Battle Ropes
4. Flutter Kicks
5. Kettlebell Swings
6. Lunge Jumps
7. Monkey Walks
8. Mountain Climbers
10. Press Ups
11. Pull Ups
12. Shadow Boxing
13. Shoulder Press (bar only)
16. Squat Jumps
17. Star Jumps
18. Step Ups
19. Tricep dips
20. Wall Sit
Remember to try different exercises and work different muscle groups. Let us know how you get on and if you discover any more HIIT exercises we should know about!